Friday, February 10, 2006

Office politics

Oh dear.

It seems I was right about Josh from work. I hate it when you can just tell when a guy's somewhat interested and you know you have to be a wet blanket and nip things in the bud, even when all he's being is friendly.

It's one of those things that just has to happen initially. Him and I being the two youngest in the office and on the closest mental frequency.

It started last week with the tiniest signals: He and I finding ourselves sitting next to each other during conferences, mine being the first number he'd asked for before all the new staff members exchanged contacts, the occasional playful rib or two directed my way.

Then he added me on messenger and now we're talking late at night from home. Things are still being kept to a polite work level, but when they can't stop asking questions about every little thing you mention and want to be around you at every possible work opportunity, you pretty much know you're treading into murkier territory.

This of course, is where I should step on the brakes.

I can see what's going on and where it has the potential to go. If I don't pull away now, in a week or two we'll be getting lunch together with less and less people coming with us, finding excuses to step out of the office for short breaks alone and trading smug, insider jokes.

Before you know it, every accidental or deliberate physical contact between us will bristle with latent energy. We'll no longer be able to look each other in eye without feeling a current, and that's when it'll come to a climax: make a decision and cross the line, or crash and burn.

Also by that point, the more finely attuned of our colleagues would probably have picked up on our closeness, then they'd confirm it with each other and that's approximately when all hell breaks loose, ie: Houston, our office-romance rumour has taken flight...

I've seen it happen too many times to pretend, and my intuition is seldom wrong when it rings to say someone is trying their luck. Which is why I politely informed him I was going to bed now, and though we're both still online, he's been conveniently blocked from seeing me.

But it's also wickedly fun when you know what reaction you can incite from someone, and I have to admit that I haven't completely recovered from the recent loss of Chris... and maybe that's why even though I've quite firmly decided that the office is the last place I will get involved with someone at, I'm still deciding if I should be good and wear my pencil skirt (the one that hugs my ass like clingwrap and gives such a good back view that drivers willingly slow down and let me jaywalk) with the flat pointy slingbacks, or be a proper devil and amp up the volume in the 3" peep-toes.

TGIF.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home