Friday, February 03, 2006

Alternative for the alternative

I'd been meaning to write about Shyler for some time now, so it's unfortunate that the only thing I have to tell you about him at this moment is that he hasn't any time for me.

Shyler is formidably attractive, and not just physically. He is a veritable woman-magnet wherever he goes, to the point that it is near impossible to walk into a room with him without his being accosted by at least one or two females vying for his attention.

He's also what they call, a man-whore.

Revelling shamelessly in every ounce of attention he receives, he has a way of making every woman he speaks to feel like the singular, most worthy creature of his rapture in the entire universe. (okay, club.) It's akin to floating on a dopey, drug-induced high, then craving to have it again immediately after its been taken away. That's the effect he has on women, and I'm practically no exception.

Except that I'm one of the few constant contenders of his very many indiscretions, for Shyler's an incorrigible womaniser as well. And which man in his position wouldn't be? It's like having a buffet spread of all-you-can-eat delicatessens in front of a diabetic child all day long.

He knows it's wrong, but he never stops indulging. Similarly, I always know it's futile, but I still try and initiate appointments with him now and then.

The thing about Shyler though, is that he can't be invited into anyone's company. As and when he chooses to, he comes to you. And don't ever make the mistake of holding him to his word because the man makes all sorts of heartfelt promises, only to greet your phonecall the next day with an innocent-sounding, "so what can I do for you, beautiful?"

He had the good fortune of being on leave the whole of this week and we'd had sort of a standing arrangement to catch up on old times today. But when yesterday evening rolled round and I'd not heard a peep from him, I knew it wasn't to be.

As it turns out, his girlfriend had suddenly applied for leave to be with him instead, and they'd left for a nearby island for a quick getaway.

Doesn't that make me the pathetic, leftover-in-waiting then, you might say?

Well, not quite. For one thing, I certainly don't envy the girl. Nor did I all the ones before her, as badly deceived as the next, whose relationships with him also went unrespected by him and me.. yes, we've known each other for some time now.

I may adore the post-coital cuddling he's so patient for and everything before and after that point, but at times like this when he shows himself as the true self-serving cheater that he is, I simply shrug and mutter, "typical".

And that's that.

With any luck, in a month or three he will decide to look me up again, but my point this evening is that I really need to be making the acquaintances of new playmates in lieu of his absence as (perhaps you may have noticed) I'm not a big fan of monogamy, even when all I indulge in are essentially flings.

And so hunting season is about to begin very soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home